6 April 2014

Goat simulator 2014 review


Hello there, I'm Accel And this is my review on Goat Simulator 2014.The trouble with Goat Simulator is that it’s actually not as terrible as you might expect. It is a bad joke, carried well: an open world anarchy simulation in which you can headbutt, lick and occasionally wear jetpacks, breaking stuff for high-scores. It is full of ideas, and even if those ideas are mostly stupid, they are still ideas.

Game link: http://www.goat-simulator.com/
Steam link:http://store.steampowered.com/app/265930/

Goat Simulator: the best game never made for kids.

Occasionally while you are competing against your Steam friends in an in-game meta-mini-game named Flappy Goat, it is a little bit profound. Occasionally, when you’ve managed to get your goat stuck between two physics objects, and his face is vibrating back and forth at what seems to be the speed of sound, you wonder whether the joke was worth the effort.

Occasionally, you just want all games to be just like Goat Sim. Occasionally, you want to throw your hands up in the air and scream “wtf is this crap?”


There's no story behind Goat Simulator. Your simply thrown straight into the town, giving you the freedom to create your own fun. Whether it's bouncing on trampolines, running into a petrol station, blowing it up in the process, or attaching your  tongue onto a moving vehicle. You can also perform ragdoll, which is fun to do whilst in mid air, or throwing yourself into traffic.

For all your destruction and absurd behaviour, you earn points, which can be multiplied by performing them in quick succession. It works similar to the Insurance Fraud mini game in Saints Row, where you ragdoll into incoming traffic to earn points.  There's also bonuses awarded for completing certain challenges, For instance, blow up the petrol station and you will earn the Michael Bay challenge.


I sent my goat through as many houses as I could, destroying property, licking random people (which scares the daylights out of them), and jumping out of windows. When I was curious to see if I could kill the goat--as I’m that kind of monster, apparently--I head-butted a gas station with explosive results. Not only did the goat not die, I earned a Michael Bay achievement.

These quests are really the only direction the game gives players, and while it’s fun to try to complete some of these challenges, it’s far more fun to experiment on your own. I saw the quests as a way to teach me a bit how to play and maybe give me a goal or two. For example, two of the quests are to destroy Goat-henge and become the King of All Goats. Those sound like two challenges that need to be accepted! Oh wait, what’s that? A giant waterpark slide? I need to find a way to jump off that while sliding down!


But there is some interesting design. There are challenges: little mini-games that have to be defeated on the route to a high score. A goat wrestling ring. A murderous pentagram that must be fed with corpses/unconscious ragdolls. A goat version of Flappy Birds. There is stuff to do, and just as each joke wears thin, it stops.

Here’s the thing. I can sort of appreciate Goat Sim, but it leaves me a little cold. However, I showed it to some pre-teens, and they thought it was the greatest game they’d ever seen. Their sides still hurt from laughing. I wonder if, accidentally, Goat Sim might be one of the best kids games going: an ungulate enhanced remix of the Lego series, that proves that breaking is at least as fun as building.

It is hard to feel mean about a game that inspires that kind of reaction. I think this game deserve a score 7 out of 10. So what do you guys think, ready to goat around and do what goat do.Share it on the discussion area below.




No comments:

Post a Comment